MEI HO HOUSE ALUMNI NETWORK ACTIVITY:
SHAM SHUI PO KAIFONG GUIDED RELIGIOUS TOUR
The “Cultural Activity of Mei Ho House Alumni Network: Sham Shui Po Kaifong Guided Tour – Religious” has been finished successfully on 22 April 2018 (Sunday). The participants followed the Kaifong docents to understand more about the religious history and culture in Sham Shui Po.
The first stop was “Sisters of the Precious Blood”, located in Un Chau Street. It was built in 1929 which has been providing different social service such as education, healthcare services and so on to the Sham Shui Po residents.
Kwan Tai Temple was built in 1891 (the period of Qing Dynasty). The main deity is Kwan Tai, also named as Guan Yu, the famous generals during Three Kingdom periods. He is revered as the God of loyalty and Righteousness.
The only one temple in Hong Kong which worships Nezha (should be Nezha according to Wiki?). It was built in 1891 (the period of Qing Dynasty). In 1898, it was said that a serious epidemic spread out in Hong Kong. Some residents suggested to bring the image of the deity Sam Tai Tze to parade in Sham Shui Po, then the epidemic was stopped. After that, the residents built the Sam Tai Tze temple to commemorate Nezha
We visited St. Francis of Assisi Church located in Shek Kip Mei Street which was built in 1955. There are two spiral stairs on the left and right on the ground floor which are the access to the first floor. The first floor is for the Mass in the Catholic Church.
We also went to Ching Chung Taoist Association of Hong Kong Ltd., Lung Hing Tong and other different religious buildings. Thank you Hoi Bun Heritage Docents Society and the Kaifong docents for their contribution.