Founded in 1973 as a registered non-profit and non-government-funded non-profit organisation, Hong Kong Youth Hostels Association (HKYHA) is one of the 60 national associations affiliated with Hostelling International (HI), the worldwide umbrella organisation that provides members with information covering over 2,650 youth hostels and other travel benefits. HKYHA operates 7 youth hostels across Hong Kong and currently has an individual membership of more than 30,000 people and group membership of over 600.
To provide safe, simple, and affordable hostelling services to young people and travellers from all over the world. Our hostels also serve as educational platforms that allow travellers to broaden their horizons, to learn about different cultures, and to be in touch with nature and heritage conservation.
- Travel does not only mean fun and entertainment, but also means breaking through limits and exploring the world.
- Travel is not exclusive for the rich. Everyone can enjoy the satisfaction which travel brings about.
- Youth hostels are established to provide safe and simple accommodation for travel lovers and young people of limited means.
- Backpacking or self-guided tours have become a new mode of travel for the young generation. Youth hostels is thus an integral part of Hong Kong’s tourism industry today.
Youth Hostels Around The World:
- Welcome travellers of any gender, age*, nationality and religion.
- Youth Hostels are not hotels. Youth hostels promote simple and eco-friendly tourism and are different from typical business operations in terms of location, facilities and services.
- Youth hostels are equipped with at least one common area (e.g. self-catering kitchen, common room, self-service laundry) to let hostellers from around the world to mingle and meet with others.
- Hostellers are not “customers” but those who are identified with the youth hostel’s philosophy. Therefore, every hosteller has the responsibility to keep the hostel clean and put any facilities back in their places after use.
(* A letter of guarantee is required from travellers bringing children aged under 5 to ensure that the child will not cause disturbance to other hostellers.)
Click here to download Chairman’s Report 2014/15