The school guided tour will introduce the historical, architectural, cultural and social significance of the first and only remaining Mark I H-shaped resettlement block-Mei Ho House. Teachers and students will learn about the history of Hong Kong’s public housing development, the way of life and interesting stories of early resettlement block residents, and the striving and resilience spirit of the Hong Kong people that constitutes to the success of Hong Kong.
The tour will also include an optional interactive workshop that involves various types of activities which aims to let the students to have a deeper understanding of the old days of Hong Kong.
General information of the School Guided Tour:
Content: Visit of Mei Ho House (1 hour), interactive workshop (half hour, optional)
Capacity: 20-40 secondary or primary school students
(For group with more than 35 students, please contact us for special arrangement)
(maximum 4 teachers or teaching assistants)
Fee: $20 per head, a book named “Hong Kong Spirit in Mei Ho House: We grew up in Shek Kip Mei” which presents the key facts about Mei Ho House and features the interesting stories of 10 early resettlement block residents will be distributed to the students.
Time: Tuesday-Friday (except public holiday) one session in the morning and afternoon respectively (about 1-1.5 hours) Morning (10:45am-12:15pm) and afternoon (14:00pm-15:30pm)
- Check the available date and timeslots online and make reservation by website or fax the school guided tour application form (3755-4379). First-come, first-served.***
- A “pending for confirmation” email will be received immediately after making online reservation (for online booking only). It is required to settle full payment within one month(Please mail the cheque payable to “Hong Kong Youth Hostels Association - MHH” to YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel, Block 41, Shek Kip Mei Estate, Sham Shui Po, Kowloon,Hong Kong and mark “The Hong Kong Jockey Club Community Project Grant: Mei Ho House Hong Kong Spirit Learning Project” OR transfer to HSBC bank account 848-418539-292, and email or fax the bank-in slip to firstname.lastname@example.org / 3755-4379)
- If there is difficulty in settling the payment within one month, please contact us as soon as possible to avoid automatic cancellation of the reservation.
- A confirmation email for successful reservation will be received after the payment is settled.
Remark: According to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, the above-collected information will only be used for the internal use of HKYHA, and is under protection. HKYHA may use the collected information for the promotion of the association-related activities . If you do not wish to receive such promotion, please contact us through email or telephone.
Reservation and tour guidelines:
- The tour will be reserved on school-basis, and the maximum number of participant per tour is 20-40.
- Reservation is accepted at least 10 working days prior to the tour.
- A confirmation email will be received for successful reservation. Please present the confirmation email for verification on the day of tour.
- As the Heritage of Mei Ho House is open to the public and group booking, early or late arrival will cause inconvenience to others, please arrive on time.
- If the school has to conduct questionnaire/project/oral history interview in Mei Ho House, please inform HKYHA staff during the application for further approval.
- After successful reservation, rescheduling is allowed for ONCE only and depended on availability
- Parking lots are not available at YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel. Coaches (24 seats or less) are allowed at the hostel main entrance.
- The school is responsible and liable for any damage of the artefact or facilities of Mei Ho House.
- Visitors shall take care of their own belongings and safety. The Heritage of Mei Ho House bears no responsibility or liability for any loss or damage of personal belongings or any accident happened on its premises.
- In case of inclement weather such as tropical cyclone warning signal No.8 or above OR black rainstorm warning signal is hoisted, the school guided tour will be cancelled. In case the tropical cyclone warning signal No.8 or above OR black rainstorm warning signal is lowered less than 2 hours before the Heritage of Mei Ho House normal closing time (Weekdays opening hours Tuesday-Friday 9:30am-17:00pm), the school guided tour will also be cancelled. Further rescheduling arrangement will be made. In case of inclement weather or failure to provide service from HKYHA, rescheduling must be done within half year, or otherwise no refund will be allowed.
- HKYHA reserves the rights for final decision on the above- mentioned reservation and tour arrangements.