Heritage of Mei Ho House is about to complete its renovation and improvement works and will reopen with the long-awaited exhibition in the second half of the year.
In order to provide visitors with an in-depth understanding of Mei Ho House, the only remaining Mark I resettlement block, as well as different perspectives on the new exhibition, YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel is now recruiting volunteer docents to share with visitors the history of Mei Ho House, nostalgic days of Hong Kong, stories of old neighbourhoods, the revitalization process of Mei Ho House, and hostel culture. We warmly invite you to join us in perpetuating the history, culture, architecture and human values of Mei Ho House.
Details are as follows.
– Hong Kong permanent residents aged 18 or above
– Excellent command of Cantonese, proficiency in English and /or Mandarin will be an advantage
– Have a keen interest in Hong Kong’s history, culture and heritage conservation
– Willing to share and communicate with others, good interpretive skills and a passion for service
– Able to provide guided tours on weekdays, weekends and public holidays
- Duties of docents:
– Provide guided tours to visitors, including but not limited to the public, schools and organizations
– Act as a communication link between YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel and visitors
– Assist in promoting and supporting YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel activities (activities are mainly conducted in Cantonese)
– Provide guided tours at least once every two months
- Suitable applicants will be invited to attend three training sessions. Schedules are as follows:
| 1. Briefing Session:
||25/6/2022 (Sat), 2:00pm – 5:00pm
| 2. On-site Training Session I:
||2/7/2022 (Sat), 10:00am – 1:00pm Or
2/7/2022 (Sat), 2:30pm – 5:30pm
| 3. On-site Training Session II:
||9/7/2022 (Sat), 10:00am – 1:00pm Or
9/7/2022 (Sat), 2:30pm – 5:30pm
|*Applicants who have performed well in the training and passed the assessment will be awarded a qualified certificate and become our docents.
- As a docent of YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel, you will get:
– Precious experiences in leading tours
– Valuable experiences in helping to organize events
– Opportunities to serve the community
– A qualified certificate in becoming a docent
– Allowance for each guided tour
– Free 1-year HKYHA hostel membership
Deadline: 17/6/2022 (Fri)
– Suitable applicants will be notified by email within 7 working days after the deadline; unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
Inquiries: Ms Tang 3728 3544 / [email protected]
– Current docents of YHA Mei Ho House hostel are not required to register again.
– YHA Mei Ho House Youth Hostel is in compliance with the government guidelines on epidemic prevention and control, applicants are advised to follow the relevant requirements when attending the training sessions.
– Depending on the development of the epidemic and the prevailing epidemic prevention measures, the training sessions and assessment may be adjusted accordingly.
– HKYHA reserves the right to make the final decision on all details of this program.